New firmware version for Canon EOS 7D Mark II has been released.
Firmware Version 1.0.5 incorporates the following fixes and improvements:
- Improves AF accuracy when used in combination with the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM lens or EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which, in very rare cases, the "Peripheral illumination correction" is applied inconsistently.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which, while performing an EF lens firmware update, the progress bar displayed on the LCD monitor may freeze at 100% even though the update has been completed.
- Fixes a processing error in relation to the leap second for the "Geotag information appended to image" and "Log data" GPS functions.
- Fixes a phenomenon, where at the time of shooting in very rare cases "Err 70" occurs, or the shutter does not release.
Firmware updates can be downloaded from Canon US, Canon Europe, Canon Asia or your local Canon site..
A few Canon updates from the week. Specific for owners of Canon EOS 7D Mark II, there's a new firmware version 1.0.4 out. It should fix a few not so common issues:
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera's AF function may not operate properly at a focal length of approximately 100mm when used with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which, in rare instances, the reduction of the flicker effect cannot be achieved when in AI servo AF mode, despite the "Anti-flicker shoot" function being set to "Enable".
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the Picture Style settings may not be applied to the captured image when the camera is set to custom shooting mode C1, C2 or C3.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which, in very rare cases, the first still image captured in live view mode may not record the correct date and time.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which, in very rare cases, image noise may appear in JPEG images when brightness or contrast is corrected by the Auto Lighting Optimizer function.
Firmware updates can be downloaded from Canon US, Canon Europe, Canon Asia or your local Canon site. And while you are at it, you might check the latest software updates from Canon too. Canon has new versions out of Digital Photo Professional, EOS Utility and the Picture Style Editor.
The week also gave us an announcement of a new Canon lens. An update of the cheap but classic EF 50mm/1.8, commonly known as the "nifty fifty". The new version has been given STM AF-motor for better AF-performance, a 7-blade aperture (up from 5) for better bokeh quality and the minimum focusing distance for the lens has been shortened to 0.35m (from 0.45m). Also looks like build quality of Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM has been improved from its predecessor. The lens should be available by the end of May for a very fair price.
More than a month ago Canon announced a major firmware update for the Canon EOS 7D camera, and finally today it is available for download and install. The new firmware version 2.0.0 features:
- Improved maximum burst for RAW images (up to 25)
- In-camera RAW image editing
- In-camera Image Rating
- In-camera JPEG resizing
- Maximum Auto ISO setting (ISO 400-6400)
- Manual audio level adjustment in movie recording
- GPS compatibility
- File name customization
- Time zone settings
- Faster scrolling of magnified images
- Quick control screen during playback
You can find the update at Canon sites, including Canon Europe and Canon USA. Canon USA also has a page with more information about firmware 2.0.x.
PS. I still consider this site to be pretty much "on hold", but thought I would keep it up-to-date with at least the most important/essential news directly related to the Canon EOS 7D.
Today Canon has released a new firmware version 1.2.2 for Canon EOS 7D. The firmware includes the following fixes:
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the set aperture moves when shooting movies in manual exposure mode using some Canon lenses (such as macro lenses).
- Fixes the AF point-selection behavior of the C.Fn III-7 (Manual AF pt. selec. pattern) custom function when set to .
- Fixes the AF point display for the viewfinder electronic level when shooting in the vertical position.
- Corrects misspellings in the Spanish and Thai menus for applicable products.
Download and install instructions at